Detailed instructions for installation of stone - natural slate and quartzite tiles.
Our congratulations to you!
You have purchased a truly beautiful natural materials for interior and exterior finishes - natural slate ecoSlate ®, extracted from the best quarries of the world, and manual processing. It will delight many years you and your family for its unique natural shades and facture.
With correct installation, protection, and periodic care our natural slate and quartzite ecoSlate ® for many years will be in excellent condition. For this, we offer get to know with this article which will help you become an expert and understand all the subtleties of working with stones have the facture.
So, you have determined your choice for natural stone - in tile 300x60012mm. According to current state standards specification, it belongs to the type of crushed natural stones and extreme deviates from the nominal length, width and diagonals must not exceed ± 2 mm and the thickness of ± 3mm. It is quite permissible meanings, because tile is cut and calibrated stone-saw machines, using special diamond discs, with thick rough edge to 5 mm. And not always making the diamond disc remains constant - it eventually becomes thinner, and hence once again sawed tiles will be at 1-2 mm longer and wider than sawn a little earlier because, as mentioned above, the normal development of the diamond disk. Admissions in the geometry, have a majority of ceramic tiles and ceramics-granite.
Take into account the possible admissions in the deviation from the nominal by geometry and thickness of the tiles of natural slate, we recommend to lay stone slabs format 300x600x12 with a gap (or as they say again, seam) 2mm. So, for laying the stone, we need seamless crosses for laying with a gap of 2mm. They can purchased at any construction shop.
Comment. Traditionally, in Italy, considered the cradle of stone working, the country has the highest culture and traditions of working with natural stone tiles made of natural slate and quartzite are placed with the seam in 3mm - 5mm, both inside and outside the premises and this is considered normal. And, so, performs most of the laying of slate tile dimensions - from mosaics to large-sized, say 1000x1000x30mm. And this style of laying stones in a facture tile we see in most European countries. In Russia, we see a trend to leveling intertiled seams, bringing them at times to an incredible 0.5 mm to 1 mm. The design requirements are sometimes above the requirements of state standard specification. But this can only be achieved incredible labor costs and attracting high-class artists – stone-working.
Now, let us his view on the choice of glue. Currently, the choice of adhesive mixtures amazes with its diversity - that domestic brands and international brands, mainly Italian, German and Turkish manufacturers. All of them should contain recommendations on the work of these compounds with natural stone. Besides , the choice of colour of glue - white (most common), white or black, in working with natural slate and quartzite have not really matter (obviously, it is not necessary to lay white quartzite in black glutinous composition, or vice versa, black slate on the white glue) and always remains a master or superintendent. More important is the glue curing time - from 40 minutes to 180 minutes. We recommend glue from setting time up to 120min., To be able to resolve differences arising adjacent plates, or the possibility of changing the picture of floor (the selective replacement of tiles already arranged to give a new pattern or texture on the floor). Usually, the time of full crystallization of the adhesive is 24 hours - 36ch, and this is exactly the required period, when the stone is necessary to protect from circulation and possible changes. Otherwise, the stone after a short time "zabuhtit, and soon did exfoliate off the ground. Will have to beat him (being careful not to damage the adjacent boards) and replacement. Also, special attention should be paid to the fact that use your stone - whether it's interior, the facade of a building or a bowl of the basin. All this has its own adhesives. They can differ significantly in price, so always consult with experts and read the label on the package.
So, we have chosen a stone, glue and we decided with the distance between neighbouring slabs. We turn to the smoothing-out. It will look like your natural stone depends largely on the correct colour matched smoothing-out mastic (jointless smoothing-out). Typically, selection occurs on the colour apportionment. It is present at all producers. First place in the production of such smoothing-out belongs to Italy. Turkish producers jointless smoothing-out also offer high quality products in a wide range. Colour of smoothing-out, usually supports the main colour of the stone. If the colour of the stone complicated - then choose a neutral shade, not violating the naturalness of transition from tile to tile. . To work with natural stone, always use a cement, water, single-component smoothing-out. Do not use two-component mixture trowels - they make edges of the front surface are "greasiness" and give not good-looking stains, to cope with which practically is not possible (only the replacement of slabs). To work on facing facades by natural stone using a special smoothing-out for facades - it has better adhesion, a smaller absorption (moisture absorption), and better cold resistance.
Having defined with the stone, glue, smoothing-out, and the distance between the plates pass to the process of laying tile made of natural slate and quartzite.
1. Always use the services of professional masters for laying natural stone.
2. The subfloor must be firm, smooth and pure from dust and oil and be dry.
3. Make the marking of the floor.
4. Lay the stone on the floor, according to your taste and requirements of the design project. Pick up combined with each other slabs of stone until you get the most liked you picture floor and game factures
5. Mark the slabs on the reverse side, indicating the direction of laying along sides of. Pack together the slabs of natural stone (required placing them in rows on the butt end.
6. Cover the subfloor primer for better adhesion of glue. Lets to absorb the primer, if necessary, repeat the procedure.
7. Knead the adhesive according to the instructions, not forgetting to give it to stand 5 - 10 minutes to dissolve all the additives.
8. Using a spatula with a height of teeth 10mm evenly apply glue to the subfloor, based on 2 - 3 tiles.
9. Produce laying of the first stone slabs, smooth out lines the seams available 2 mm by crosses. Differentials between adjacent slabs removed by a rubber (wooden) mallet and adhesive pads. Using adhesive pads easily offset by differentials in adjacent slabs up to 3mm-4mm.
10. Continue the laying marking slabs, bringing the number up to 15-20pcs. After this necessarily wash off the remnants of the adhesive composition from the surface of laid slabs to prevent drying adhesive in the pores of the stone.
11. Continue laying. If necessary, you can easily sawed slabs of natural stone on sawing machine with a diamond disk under constant water supply.
12. Do not forget to remove adhesive residue from the surface of laid stone. It's enough to damp cloth or sponge.
13. After completion of laying slabs of natural stone, let the glue to crystallize, as mentioned above, it will take approximately 24 hours - 36 hours, depending on the humidity, the grounds, type of glue and so on.
14. Upon completion of the crystallization of the adhesive composition once again wipe the stone with a damp cloth, clean and dry the sutures between adjacent slabs of stone. Begin filling of sutures trowelling.
15. Important: filling of sutures produce carefully so the trowelling does not fall on the exterior side of the stone. Remove any excess trowelling . Clean the stone surface with a sponge dipped in clean water. When will dry up trowelling on the surface of the stone may be cement stains and spots, which are practically not removed in the future.
16. Let the trowelling becomes dry, it may take up to 12 hours.
17. Wash the stone by clean water.
18. Repeat the cleaning of stone, but with a neutral detergent (aka shampoo for natural stone). He will wash the grime and removes stains from the surface of the stone. Give the stone to dry.
19. Cover slabs made of natural slate or quartzite special protection which will give extra water and oil repellent properties, reducing the absorption and improved physical and mechanical characteristics of natural stone.
Now you can enjoy by the work - your floors or walls, lined with natural stone, will be for many years to charge you with its unique beauty and wonderful facture of natural split
LLC. "Image Stone
On all issues of packing and working with natural stone, please contact our Technical department is 776-30-15